Thursday, January 18, 2018

Wondrous Words

Wondrous Words is hosted at Bermuda Onion's blog.


January 2018 - Toronto ON

I haven't joined Wondrous Words in forever!! But I do think of it often when I see new words and I always read Bermuda Onions posts.

I read this in a post by a fellow blogger and had to look it up. Now I need an opportunity to use it!

A lagniappe (/ˈlænjæp/ LAN-yap or /lænˈjæp/ lan-YAP) is "a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase" (such as a 13th doughnut on purchase of a dozen), or more broadly, "something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure."

The word entered English from the Louisiana French adapting a Quechua word brought in to New Orleans by the Spanish Creoles. It derived from the South American Spanish phrase la yapa or ñapa (referring to a free extra item, usually a very cheap one).

Quoits in The Disappearance of Esme Lennox

Quoits (koits, kwoits, kwaits) is a traditional game which involves the throwing of metal, rope or rubber rings over a set distance, usually to land over or near a spike (sometimes called a hob, mott or pin).

Reading BBC.com
Ben Stokes: England cricketer charged with affray
An instance of fighting in a public place that disturbs the peace.

Definitions from Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you found some good ones. I'm glad you played along this week and hope you'll be back again. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.