Friday, October 6, 2017

Home Cookin'

October 2017

Here is our final daily recap of our road trip with links to all the other days.

SATURDAY
Six Word Saturday

Day 25 - Nipigon ON to Sault Ste. Marie ON


We're on our last leg of this journey. We'll be home on Monday afternoon.

We woke in Nipigon, probably definitely the worst accommodations so far and quickly packed up and went out to the frosty car.


Breakfast at a good ole Canadian standby.





We stop at he fabulous Aguasabon Falls. The Aguasabon Falls boardwalk leads to a viewing platform overlooking the gorge and the spectacular 100 foot falls. The Falls were created as a result of a hydro project to power the creation of Terrace Bay and the forestry industry.


White River
.


A. A. Milne named the character Winnie-the-Pooh after a teddy bear owned by his son, Christopher Robin Milne, who was the basis for the character Christopher Robin.

Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a Canadian black bear he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday. The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his adopted hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie" was surreptitiously brought to England with her owner, and gained unofficial recognition as The Fort Garry Horse regimental mascot. Colebourn left Winnie at the London Zoo while he and his unit were in France; after the war she was officially donated to the zoo, as she had become a much loved attraction there.




Wawa
Horrible selfie beneath the famous Wawa Goose.
The name of the townWawa is in turn derived from the Ojibwe word for the Canada goose (taken from The Song of Hiawatha).


Lunch


It has gotten cloudy and cold as the day wore on.


John's chili poutine.




Gorgeous  painted Muskoka chairs at the Visitors' Centre.



We are staying in a Microtel by Wyndham in Sault Ste Marie. The hotel rooms are on the micro size but were perfect for one night.
We had picked up vegetables and fruits for dinner.


SUNDAY
inSPIREd Sunday
One Word Sunday
Shadow Shot Sunday

Day 7 - Sault Ste. Marie ON to Sudbury ON

It was a quiet Sunday morning as we took a brisk walk along the Locks in
Sault Ste. Marie with the International Bridge highlighting the skyline from Sault Ste. Marie Canada into Sault Ste. Marie Michigan on the other side.







John capturing me capturing the moose.






MONDAY
Monday Mural
Good Random Fun
Foto Tunes




The Great Pumpkin outside the museum.



At his feet.


We had picked up groceries and I had planned to cook but ended up not feeling like it so we ordered Swiss Chalet chicken.

TUESDAY
Wordless
Tuesday Treasures
Weekly Travel Theme

Our first full day home and it was a lazy one, doing laundry and unpacking.

I did make Asian chicken wraps for dinner.

WEDNESDAY

I got a badly needed mani pedi and John went to Costco to stock up on the items we get from there.

John had his final weekly golf game and banquet.

He even sent me a photo of his prime rib as he knows I love it while I ate leftovers.


THURSDAY

We went to stock up on fruits and vegetables as it is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and I am cooking twice.
Then I spent a few hours with a friend who had kindly collected our mail for us.

I had a frozen beef heart so decided to make a stew with it but it was very tough. But everything else was good especially a mash of white and sweet potato with parsnips.

FRIDAY
Weekend Reflections
Friday Finds
Weekend Green Butchart Gardens Victoria BC

Since I was meeting my BFF for lunch and a chin wag after being away I went downtown early for a haircut.
I found these cuties.





We had a great chat and Philly cheese wraps for lunch which we should have shared as it was too big.


Lamb chops and baked potato was on the menu for dinner.

Quite a sunset tonight!




BOOKS

I started reading The Wonder by Emma Donoghue, and I am finding it a little slow as it is developing but I am intrigued.

SHARING WITH:


Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com
Beth hosts Weekend Cooking where you can post anything food related.
Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy.

17 comments:

  1. Although you had a great trip and got to see much, I bet you're glad to be home. I've been to Sudbury; I grew up sailing the Lakes (esp. Huron and Erie) and my mother even crewed for races. Anyway, I always love to see all the cool things you spot with your camera: murals, pumpkins, chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't familiar with those waterfalls. This time of year in northern Ontario can get quite chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your photos... ending with a beautiful sunset. I'm envious of your traveling lifestyle. You go to the most interesting places and do a great job capturing photos of things you see and eat. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    My Saturday Snapshot post features a hike along the Pratt River Connector Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure - lovely photos of places that I have never been to. Thanks for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those food photos have made me hungry. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best trips !

    I really hope I get to Canada one day - it always looks cold but beautiful. It was nice seeing some of the regular about town shots in your post too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavens! The size of that rib! :) :) Loved the pumpkins though. Happy Halloween! Let me be the first :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, so nice to know the story behind Winnie the Pooh, one of my favorite (first books in English) I read for school! That Philly cheese sandwich looks delicious:) For you this was a shorter trip eh? Are you going to stay where you live for the winter? Many thanks for sharing your travel experiences with All Seasons! Have a fun end of trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating post! Lots of interesting things to see! I had no idea about where Winnie the Pooh had gotten his name, and that was fun to discover. Thanks for sharing this leg of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, so many great things to see! And I just love that gorgeous sunset to finish, it's such a special one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie, the colour of the clouds in your top photo, is beautiful. And I love the story of how Winnie-The-pooh came about, those stories were my son's favourites. It looks like you've had a wonderful roadtrip.

    Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. All's well that ends well. A great road trip. Thanks for being my BFF. Looking froward to some down time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know where to start...I love the sky shots bracketing your blog post, and I had to smile about you finding a Tim's after your bad night, but I must admit I love Winnie the Pooh best. I didn't know about the American connection, but one of my first books was Milne's Pooh. All of the characters became my friends, but my favourite story was the Heffalump. Thanks for a stroll down early-memory-lane, and I'm glad you're home safe and sound. (That prime rib made me drool, and feel sorry for you having none)!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favourite spot from your journey is the Aguasabon Falls, it looks spectacular... Winnie the Pooh is the close runner up :) #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.