Monday, March 20, 2017

Tuesday Treasures

Since we are on the road I am reposting some oldies.


April 2014 - Charlotte NC



Louis Ratcliffe opened the first Ratcliffe’s Floral Shop in 1917 next to Latta Arcade.

In 1929, he commissioned architect William H. Peeps to design a new two-story building across the street. The neon “Ratcliffe’s Flowers” sign was installed shortly after the 1929 floral shop opened.

It is the only remaining overhanging sidewalk sign in Uptown Charlotte. The pink, green and blue neon sign was restored in the 1990’s by the Neonworks sign company and is now located near The Green which I wrote about here.

4 comments:

  1. Great old sign! I hadn't notice they were disappearing, but come to think of it there are none around here anymore. I have been through Charlotte on many occasions (I lived in Raleigh for a few years) but never really spent much time there. The Green looks like a really nice place to enjoy. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love historical places like this! I look forward to more of your "old" photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...now that's one classy sign. I'd love to see the neon lit up. Thanks Jackie for sharing this treasure from the past. Please stop back again.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.